Chief Commercial Officer
Who we are and why we exist
System1 is a marketing decision-making platform business. Our target customers are the world’s largest advertisers. These businesses understand that creativity is the most powerful tool for growth within their control. System1 helps them make confident creative decisions that lead to transformational business results
What we do
System1 predicts and improves marketing effectiveness. Our advertising and idea tests measure emotion to give our customers the most accurate predictions of the business impact of creativity. We ‘predict’ (provide research results) and ‘improve’ (provide insight and consultancy on those results) on arguably three of the most critical marketing questions for our customers: advertising effectiveness, innovation effectiveness and brand effectiveness. We aspire to do these three things better than anyone else at a value that makes System1 our customers’ choice.
Where we operate
We employ over 150 people across 13 companies in 9 countries from where we serve over 450 customers across the world.
Context and job description
System1 has an ambitious strategy to rapidly scale the business and has proven a growth model that works, and our focus is now on relentless execution. We expect to achieve consistent quarter on quarter revenue growth, through repeatable and recurring revenue.
System1 primarily intends to achieve this via commercial execution through:
- Winning in the US
- Global partnerships with major ad platforms, agencies, professional services and professional bodies
- Increased work directly with the world’s largest advertisers
- Rapid expansion of existing customers
James Gregory, CEO is currently doubling up as the Chief Commercial Officer, directly line managing Director of US/LATAM Expansion and Director of UK/EU/APAC Expansion. By April 2024, he intends to move back fully into his position as CEO and is therefore looking for a Commercial Leader to replace him as Chief Commercial Officer.
The role will partner with Jon Evans, Chief Customer Officer, who is accountable for building fame, partnerships and new business. Together, the Chief Commercial Officer and Chief Customer Officer are the growth engine of the business.
Given the focus on winning in the US and seizing the huge Americas opportunity, it is envisaged that this candidate will be based in the US, spending time in the New York office regularly and travelling to UK once a month for Executive Team meetings.
System1 is looking a strong Commercial Leader, ideally with a background in B2B sales, who drives for results, excels in execution, negotiation and influence, and presents well externally and internally.
Experience and capabilities
- Demonstrable track-record of success in B2B sales leadership roles in the US – experience within relevant industry models working or selling into the marketing function would be advantageous
- Proven success in scaling businesses, understand what it takes to run an SME scale up and what differs from large scale organisations
- Strong customer-building credentials; brings the operational ability to build and maximise client accounts, instilling the processes and disciplines across the team to win repeat business
- Smart, socially intelligent negotiator and relationship builder who combines a blend of technical capability, commercial acumen and broader business leadership
- A proven people leader, skilled in both building and motivating a broader team; able to set standards and expectations in terms of process and accountability, and build followership
- Strong influencing skills and EQ; able to build strong relationships at a peer-level, work cross-functionally across all levels of the organisation and contribute to the strategic conversation as part of the executive team
- Customer Insight – ideally the candidate would have experience of and an appreciate for how advertising and innovation is made. This will help ensure credibility in front of customers
- Interest in predictive research – whilst technical research skills are not necessary it would still be helpful to have an interest in marketing theory and the science that underpins our methodology
- Ideally combines an understanding and expertise of blue-chip processes with an entrepreneurial mind-set; accustomed to operating within environments with less support and infrastructure than large-scale multinationals
- Energetic, high impact and natural self-starter, comfortable operating at pace and setting pace for a team in a collegiate but demanding and results-oriented environment
- A mature and charismatic executive with excellent interpersonal skills, able to build strong relationships with clients externally and engage easily with individuals across the organisation
- Low-ego and with a high level of humility; able to challenge existing thinking where appropriate but in a manner that facilities productive discussion and builds relationships – strong corporate citizen
Polished and articulate, with outstanding communication